Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way. Job postings are not permitted in Communities. If you wish to advertise a job opening through the AAA please visit our job board, ACE.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
The AAA collects a variety of demographic and descriptive data about its members. The data is collected within the members-only section of the AAA website as well as on the AAA membership application. Other than the required basic contact information, members have control over what information they choose to provide.
The AAA uses this data to communicate directly with members and to allow staff to better provide benefits and services to the membership. Information is also made available to other AAA members. Members have control over what information is made available. The AAA occasionally makes name and mailing address information available to third parties who are identified as providing information deemed likely to be of interest to the AAA membership.
Each member may go to the AAA website and identify exactly what information is made available to other members and whether or not their name and address information is made available to third parties.
Online Member Search
The AAA provides members access to use the online Member Directory for the purpose of scholarly exchange related to the study of anthropology. To protect members' privacy, the AAA does not allow use of the online Member Directory for commercial purposes, nor does it allow the collection and retention of member information for mass mailings of any kind. Restrictions on the number of searches apply. The AAA may at its sole discretion remove the search privileges of any member. Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted above.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of The AAA. The AAA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the AAA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the AAA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants The AAA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
The AAA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of The AAA we will take all appropriate action.
The AAA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.